Garbage Disposals: Installation, Maintenance and Repair
As a homeowner most likely you own a garbage disposal. It is hard to imagine a present-day kitchen routine without this convenient device. A garbage disposal (or in other words a waste disposal unit) is a device, usually electrically-powered, installed under a kitchen sink between the sink’s drain and the trap which shreds food waste into small pieces that can pass through your home’s plumbing system. However, sometimes people forget to take a proper care of their garbage disposals. They stuck all kinds of junk down the machine and expect it to work efficiently and constantly ever after. But it doesn’t work like that. Your garbage disposal as any other home appliance needs adequate installation, maintenance and repair in case of any breakage. If you desire your kitchen to remain clean and functional, keeping your garbage disposal in good working condition is a must. You wouldn’t like it if your disposal backs up – in this case your sink will become useless and your kitchen will smell unpleasantly.
At Pomona Valley Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning we offer a variety of disposal-related services, having been in plumbing business for over 50 years.
Garbage Disposal Repair
Plumbing problems are not rare when it comes to your garbage disposal since this is a mechanical piece of equipment which is connected to your sewer or septic tank system. So the disposals can get clogged or backed up for various reasons – sometimes the problem might be pretty serious. So if you ever find yourself in need of garbage disposal repairs, contact Pomona Valley Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning. Our professional plumbers will quickly diagnose your problem and repair your disposal at a reasonable price.
Garbage Disposal Installation
If your garbage disposal is on its last leg or the damage is significant enough, think about having a more efficient model installed. Our plumbers can also install any type of a new disposal if you have decided to replace the whole unit or if you just want to place the disposal in a sink where it wasn’t before.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance Tips
Appropriate and consistent garbage disposal maintenance will limit frequent needs for repairs as well as keep your kitchen smelling fresh. Some tips for preventing clogs and odors are described below:
- Cold water that is run during your garbage disposal operation will help cool the engine, so always run cold water when using your disposal.
- Leave the garbage disposal on until all food bits and pieces are fully consumed.
- Run hot water through the disposal for a couple minutes after it has been in use to make sure that all food residues are cleaned.
- Put some dishwashing detergent into the garbage disposal and run hot water through it after turning it off. Do this procedure once a week.
- Try putting some lemon peels into your garbage disposal and turn the unit on, then wait about 20 minutes before running hot water to flush the system. Cut lemon peels will eliminate even the worst odors.
- Two cups of ice cubes and a cup of rock salt will do wonders inside your disposal when it is operated with cold water. This will help break up rooted sludge, allowing it to wash away.
No matter if you need to install, maintain or replace your garbage disposal our experts at Pomona Valley Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning understand and comply with all local, state, and federal codes to guarantee you excellent service. A top priority for a lot of homeowners in Pomona Valley would be to get rid of food waste in a cost-effective and environmentally friendly manner, and our plumbing pros can help you do just that with our expert garbage disposal services. We are available 24/7.